Are you considering incorporating meatloaf into your next meal rotation but curious about the nutritional values it provides? Finding out how many calories in meatloaf is an important step on the journey towards healthy eating, and today we’ll take a look at what one slice can contain. Keep reading to find out all the nutrients and vitamins that come with every portion, so that you can make informed decisions when making your weekly menu plans.
- 1 What Is Calories?
- 2 What Is Meatloaf?
- 3 Is Meatloaf Healthy?
- 4 What Is Meatloaf Made Of?
- 5 Where Do The Calories In The Meatloaf Come From?
- 6 How Many Calories In Meatloaf?
- 7 How Many Calories Are In A Pound Of Meatloaf?
- 8 How Many Calories Are In Healthy Meatloaf?
- 9 How Much Meatloaf Should You Eat Per Day?
- 10 How To Make Healthy Meatloaf?
- 11 Tips On How To Make A Delicious Meatloaf
- 12 Creative Ways To Serve Meatloaf
- 13 How To Store And Reheat Leftover Meatloaf?
- 14 FAQ: Calories In Meatloaf
- 14.1 How many calories in a piece of homemade meatloaf?
- 14.2 How many calories are in two slices of homemade meatloaf?
- 14.3 Is meatloaf OK for weight loss?
- 14.4 How many calories and carbs are in homemade meatloaf?
- 14.5 What is 1 serving size of meatloaf?
- 14.6 How many calories is 1 loaf?
- 14.7 Is Meat Loaf good for my diet?
- 14.8 How many calories are in ground Chicken meatloaf?
- 14.9 How many calories in a 1 inch slice of meatloaf?
- 14.10 How many calories does a low carb meatloaf have?
- 14.11 How many calories are in meatloaf and mashed potatoes?
- 15 Conclusion: How Many Calories In Meatloaf
What Is Calories?
Calories are a unit of measure used to quantify how much energy food provides. They are essential for the body to perform its daily functions, such as metabolism and digestion. There are different types of calories, including macronutrients, which provide energy from carbohydrates, proteins, and fats; micronutrients, which are vitamins and minerals; and dietary fiber.
What Is Meatloaf?
Meatloaf is a savory loaf-style dish made from ground or minced meat combined with various other ingredients, such as eggs, breadcrumbs, onions and herbs. Typically the mixture is moulded into a loaf shape before baking in an oven. Meatloaf can have many variations; some recipes add cheese or vegetables, while others may use a tomato-based glaze. The dish is popular in North America, Europe and Australia and it’s a comfort food favorite for many families. It’s also an easy meal to make ahead of time, as it can be refrigerated or frozen before reheating and serving. Meatloaf is an economical choice since ground meats are generally cheaper than other cuts of meat. It’s also an excellent way to stretch out meals and get the most bang for your buck when feeding a family.
Is Meatloaf Healthy?
While meatloaf is often regarded as a comfort food, it can still be healthy if proper ingredients and preparations are used. Lean meats such as ground chicken or turkey are recommended to keep saturated fat content low. Vegetables like mushrooms, onions, peppers, and carrots can be added for additional flavor and nutrients. Whole-wheat breadcrumbs and egg whites can also be used as binders and to increase the nutrient profile of the dish. Additionally, store-bought jarred sauces and glazes often contain high amounts of sugar, sodium and preservatives; so it is best to opt for homemade versions with reduced levels of these ingredients.
What Is Meatloaf Made Of?
Meatloaf is typically made with a combination of ground beef, pork, veal or poultry. Other ingredients are usually added to the mixture to bind the ingredients together and enhance flavor. These can include breadcrumbs, egg whites, onions, garlic, peppers, carrots and various herbs and spices. Additionally, sauces such as ketchup or a homemade glaze are often used to top the dish.
Where Do The Calories In The Meatloaf Come From?
The calories in meatloaf come primarily from the fat and protein content of the ingredients used to create it. The ground beef, pork, or poultry used to make the dish are particularly high in fat, with around 20-30g per 4oz serving. This makes up a significant portion of the total caloric content of the finished product. Additionally, the bread crumbs or other grains used for binding will add their own contribution of carbohydrates and calories. Other ingredients including cheese, eggs, vegetables, and seasonings can also contribute to the total calorie count. In general, a standard 4oz serving contains around 200-250 calories.
How Many Calories In Meatloaf?
“How many calories in meatloaf?” Meatloaf is a savory, moist dish that typically consists of ground meat, eggs, and breadcrumbs. The exact calorie content of any given meatloaf will depend on the ingredients used to make it. Generally speaking, a 3-ounce serving of meatloaf can range between 170 and 230 calories.
How Many Calories Are In A Slice Of Ground Turkey Meatloaf?
A 3-ounce slice of ground turkey meatloaf typically contains approximately 170 calories. This can vary depending on the ingredients used to make it, so be sure to check the nutritional label for exact calorie content. Additionally, if you add any toppings or condiments such as ketchup, mustard, cheese, or mayonnaise, these will also add calories.
How Many Calories Are In Betty Crocker’s Meatloaf?
Betty Crocker’s Meatloaf contains 160 calories per 3-ounce serving. This ready-made meal also contains 14 grams of fat, 2 grams of saturated fat, 360 milligrams of sodium, and 10 grams of protein. As with all pre-packaged meals, be sure to read the nutrition label for accurate calorie information.
How Many Calories Are In A Pound Of Meatloaf?
“How many calories in meatloaf?” A pound of meatloaf typically contains around 800-1,000 calories. The exact number will depend on the ingredients used to make it and how much fat or protein is present in the mixture. Be sure to consult the nutrition labels for exact calorie information.
How Many Calories Are In Healthy Meatloaf?
Healthy versions of meatloaf can be made using lean ground meats, whole-grain breadcrumbs and egg whites. Additionally, you can use low sodium sauces and glazes to reduce the calorie count. Depending on how it is prepared, a 3-ounce serving of healthy meatloaf can contain as few as 120 calories per serving.
Overall, how many calories in meatloaf will vary depending on how it is prepared. If you opt for lean meats and whole-grain breadcrumbs, you can significantly reduce the calorie count without sacrificing flavor. Additionally, be sure to check nutrition labels for exact calorie information before consuming any ready-made meals.
How Much Meatloaf Should You Eat Per Day?
The amount of meatloaf you should eat per day will vary depending on your individual calorie needs. Generally speaking, the American Heart Association recommends consuming no more than 3-4 ounces of cooked lean meats per serving for an adult. Therefore, it is advised to consume no more than 4-6 ounces of meatloaf each day for optimal health.
How To Make Healthy Meatloaf?
One way to make a healthier version of meatloaf is by using lean ground meats such as turkey or chicken, whole-grain breadcrumbs, and egg whites. Additionally, you can reduce the calorie content further by adding vegetables such as diced peppers or onions for added nutrition. Finally, be sure to use low sodium sauces and glazes and opt for natural seasonings such as fresh herbs or spices.
By taking a few simple steps, you can make a delicious and healthy meatloaf without sacrificing flavor. With mindful preparation and an understanding of how many calories in meatloaf, you can enjoy this dish without worry.
Tips On How To Make A Delicious Meatloaf
Meatloaf is a classic comfort food enjoyed by many. While it’s certainly tasty, it can also be high in calories. Fortunately, there are ways to make a delicious meatloaf that contains fewer calories. Here are some tips on how to do just that:
1) Use lean ground beef or turkey instead of regular ground beef. This will significantly reduce the fat content of your meatloaf, as well as the calories.
2) Instead of adding breadcrumbs or crackers to your meatloaf mixture, opt for oats instead. Oats are a great source of fiber and they help to absorb some of the fat from the meat, resulting in fewer calories per serving.
3) If your recipe calls for ketchup or barbecue sauce to top the meatloaf, use a low-calorie version instead. Many brands have reduced sugar and fat content so you won’t be adding unnecessary calories to your meal.
4) Choose vegetables that are high in fiber and water content, such as celery, mushrooms, and onions. These will help to reduce the calories in your meatloaf while adding flavor and nutrition.
5) Shorten the cooking time of your meatloaf. The longer it cooks, the more fat and calories are cooked out of it.
Creative Ways To Serve Meatloaf
Meatloaf is not only delicious, it’s also incredibly versatile. Here are some creative ways to serve up your next meatloaf masterpiece:
1) Slice it and make a sandwich! Top with some lettuce, tomato, and mayonnaise for an easy lunch or dinner option.
2) Use the leftover slices to make meatloaf burgers. Place the slices on hamburger buns, top with cheese and your favorite toppings, and serve!
3) Cut the meatloaf into cubes and skewer them. Grill or broil for a few minutes to give it a smokey flavor, then dip into ketchup or barbecue sauce.
4) Crumble the cooked meatloaf and mix it up with some cooked macaroni noodles, cheese, and your favorite seasonings for a speedy dinner.
5) Make mini-meatloaves! Simply shape your mixture into smaller portions before cooking for a fun and creative meal.
How To Store And Reheat Leftover Meatloaf?
When it comes to storing and reheating leftover meatloaf, there are a few tips you should follow. Here is what you need to know:
1) Store your leftovers in an airtight container or wrap them tightly with plastic wrap. This will help keep the moisture locked in and prevent the meatloaf from drying out.
2) Reheat your meatloaf in the oven or toaster oven. This will help maintain its flavor and texture, and it will also make sure that it is cooked all the way through.
3) If you plan on reheating your meatloaf in a microwave, don’t forget to cover it with a damp paper towel first.
FAQ: Calories In Meatloaf
How many calories in a piece of homemade meatloaf?
Bite into the irresistible allure of a mouthwatering meatloaf, with flavors that set taste buds alight! Of course, its reputation as a not-so-healthy dish precedes it, but fear not. Indulge guilt-free in a 4-ounce serving, slashing its calories down to a reasonable 350, while still retaining its decadent goodness.
How many calories are in two slices of homemade meatloaf?
Treat yourself to a couple of scrumptious, thin slices of beefy Meat Loaf, packing a flavorful punch of 351 calories! Keep in mind, the percentage of Daily Value helps you measure the nutritional impact on your everyday meal plan.
Is meatloaf OK for weight loss?
Savory and delectable, the scrumptious fusion of juicy minced meat, zesty onions, crunchy breadcrumbs topped with a luscious ketchup glaze can be quite the calorie bomb. Alas, the traditional meatloaf’s nutritional credentials are quite lackluster, making it challenging to fit into a wholesome meal plan.
How many calories and carbs are in homemade meatloaf?
Feast on a tantalizing 3-ounce slice of meatloaf, oozing with 13g of robust protein and 11.1g of satisfying fat. Let its delectable 9.6g of total carbs and 9.2g of net carbs energize your senses, while the wholesome 192 calories fuel your body for the culinary adventure ahead.
What is 1 serving size of meatloaf?
3 oz of cooked meatloaf is generally considered an appropriate serving size. This amount provides around 170-230 calories and 12-15g of protein, depending on how it was prepared. Be sure to check nutrition labels for exact calorie information before consuming.
How many calories is 1 loaf?
A standard 1-loaf meatloaf recipe typically produces 4-6 servings. This means that a single loaf can contain anywhere from 680 to 1380 calories in total, depending how it was prepared and how large each serving size is.
Is Meat Loaf good for my diet?
Indulging in homemade meatloaf has been found to decrease the intake of harmful substances such as sodium, saturated fat, cholesterol, and food additives. By doing so, this can potentially lessen the risk of health issues. Discover a delectable and nutritious meatloaf recipe to relish today.
How many calories are in ground Chicken meatloaf?
Feast on a scrumptious ground chicken meatloaf that not only tantalizes your taste buds but also packs a lean protein punch with fewer calories compared to its beefy counterpart. Enjoy a 3oz serving that boasts a mere 150-170 calories, a remarkable 18g of protein, and a modest 8g of fat.
How many calories in a 1 inch slice of meatloaf?
Get ready to indulge in a tasty 1-inch meatloaf slice, boasting only about 100 calories! Keep in mind that preparation methods can tweak that number, so peek at the nutrition label to satisfy your curiosity.
How many calories does a low carb meatloaf have?
Feast on a delectable low-carb meatloaf creation that tantalizes your taste buds while stealthily slashing those pesky calories! Relish a 3-ounce portion that packs a mere 120-160 calories, leaving traditional recipes in the dust with its carb-reduced finesse.
How many calories are in meatloaf and mashed potatoes?
Feast your taste buds on a delicious plate of meatloaf and mashed potatoes, and be prepared for a calorie rollercoaster ranging between 350-500, depending on the chef’s secret recipe. One thing’s for sure – each 3-ounce serving will leave you craving more!
Conclusion: How Many Calories In Meatloaf
Meatloaf can be a delicious and nutritious meal option when prepared using lean meats, whole-grain breadcrumbs, and egg whites. The exact calorie content of any given meatloaf will depend on how it is prepared, but in general a 3-ounce serving contains between 170 and 230 calories. Additionally, be sure to take into consideration any toppings or sauces that may be added. With the right ingredients and mindful preparation, you can enjoy a delicious and healthy version of this classic dish.
Michael J. Fanola is the chef and owner of Joe’s French Italian Inn Restaurants. He has over 30 years of culinary experience, and his restaurants have been voted “Best Italian Restaurant” by the readers of the Staten Island Advance for many years in a row. Michael is a graduate of the prestigious Culinary Institute of America, and he has worked in some of the most highly acclaimed kitchens in the country.